With an early flat tire, Kevin Harvick had to make an unscheduled pit stop, which put him down a lap early. But Harvick and his team kept digging and put themselves back on the lead lap by the third stage.
“We had a really fast car all weekend,” said Harvick. “Our car handled really well today and with the multiple lanes, we were able to run all three lanes pretty well and make our way through traffic.”
During what many thought would be the final pit stop of the day, Harvick’s team made sure they filled the fuel tank with as much gas as possible, which turned out to be the best pit call of the day.
Harvick passed Joey Logano, who had to pit with just three laps remaining, on lap 183 and virtually cruised to the win as multiple drivers had to pit with 10 laps remaining and several others ran out of fuel on the last lap.
Denny Hamlin finished second, followed by Kyle Larson, Martin Truex Jr., and Daniel Suarez.
With the series heading to Bristol this weekend, there are just three races remaining before the start of the playoffs.
Kyle Busch, Logano, Harvick, Hamlin, Truex Jr., Brad Keselowski, Chase Elliott, Kurt Busch and Alex Bowman have solidified their spots in the playoffs by virtue of wins. Ryan Blaney, Aric Almirola, William Byron, Larson, Erik Jones, Ryan Newman and Clint Bowyer are currently in the playoffs based on points.
The Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series playoffs return to Kansas Speedway on Oct. 20 with the Hollywood Casino 400.
- Joey Logano Wins Hollywood Casino 400
- Chase Briscoe Wins Kansas Lottery 300
- Bret Holmes Finishes 2nd in Speediatrics 150 Presented by The NASCAR Foundation at Kansas Speedway, Claims 2020 ARCA Menards Series Championship
- Fort Leavenworth Personnel to Serve in Dignitary Roles for Hollywood Casino 400 Sunday at Kansas Speedway
- CB30 to perform virtual national anthem prior to Saturday's Kansas Lottery 300