Midwest Balloon Festival Announces Move to Kansas Speedway
2014 Great Midwest Balloon Festival Announces
Move to Kansas Speedway
Three-day festival scheduled for August 8-10
on grounds of Kansas Speedway in Kansas City, Kans.
KANSAS CITY, KS…. Officials with Kansas Speedway and the U.S. Bank Midwest Balloon Festival announced today that the 2014 event will take place August 8-10 on the grounds of the Kansas Speedway in Kansas City, Kans. The event, previously held at the Great Mall of the Great Plains in Olathe, Kans., will cover approximately 50 acres to the west of the Speedway’s grandstand.
“We are the perfect backdrop for this signature Midwest event which is expected to draw tens of thousands of people from not only across the Metro, but across the country,” said Patrick Warren, president, Kansas Speedway “Imagine our grounds dotted with over 50 brightly colored balloons which will, one by one, take flight over the Speedway and across the Kansas landscape. It will be breathtaking!”
The annual event features balloon festival staples such as mass balloon ascents, food vendors, traditional and tethered balloon rides, children’s events, a carnival and evening balloon glows.
“Thanks to the support of our title sponsor U.S. Bank, we will once again draw families and individuals to Kansas City to for an event that not only entertains, but creates a memorable experience that can only be described as magical,” Robbie Small, Festival president said. “Each day we will have a wide range of activities from carnival rides to a barbeque competition. Then each evening, in the field to the west of the Speedway a sea of balloons will take flight while others wait for dusk to light up and cast their glow across the landscape and the smiling faces of children of all ages. It’s truly something to you won’t want to miss.”
Kansas City, Kansas Mayor, Mark Holland added that the opportunity to introduce new visitors from around the Metro and the Midwest to the Speedway and Village West is an exciting opportunity for area businesses and residents.
“We are excited to welcome the U.S. Bank Midwest Balloon Festival to the Speedway and Kansas City, Kansas,” Holland, said.
Special features for this year’s festival include:
- Special Shape Balloons – A 105 foot tall Elvis and the world’s largest hot air balloon – Darth Vader. Need we say more?
- 5K Race With the Balloons – A race like no other! As runners and walkers make their way around The Legends, balloons will follow them from above.
- Elvis Tribute Concert – Elvis mania takes hold on Sunday afternoon!
- Battle of the Bands – Listen to the best rock and country bands on the scene in KC on Friday & Saturday night.
- Charity Balloon Race – A total of 25 local charities will have the opportunity to win cash prizes totaling $15,000.
- Balloons & BBQ – We think they go together quite well! Our first ever KC Sanctioned BBQ Competition, Kids BBQ competition, Texas Certified Steak Cook-Off and a Winner-Take-All Backyard Grilling Competition, judged by local celebrities.
- Breakfast with the Balloons – Start your day early with a light breakfast as the balloons fly in to the field.
- Chefs Demo Competition – Learn special tricks of the trade from some of KC’s most popular and skilled culinary masters.
- Corporate Village sponsored by Ameriprise Financial and IBEW 124.
- Sponsored Hospitality Tents - A premium location has been designated for local corporations to entertain customers, key employees, families, etc.
- Expanded Kidz Zone - More performers, bouncy houses, activities --- ALL FREE WITH YOUR PAID ADMISSION.
Advance tickets go on sale online at midwestballoonfest.org and at all area Hy-Vee locations on Monday, May 26, 2014. Tickets start at just $10 for adults (15 and older) and $5 for children (4-14). Children under 3 are free. Multi-day pricing is also available. Buy early, as prices are more at the gate. General parking is FREE while premium parking will be an available at an additional cost of $10 per car.
Friday, August 8 - 4:00 to 11:00 pm
Saturday, August 9 - 6:30 am to 11:00 pm
Sunday, August 10 - 5:30 am to 3:00 pm
Stay updated on events and schedules by following us on Facebook and Twitter @GMBaloonfest or visiting their website here.
- Jeff Gordon Coming Out of Retirement -- At Least For Two Races
- Part 2: A look at the final nine Sprint Cup Series races and impact on the Chase
- Part 1: A look at the final nine Sprint Cup Series races and impact on the Chase
- Tony Stewart Looks to Reclaim Championship Form in Final Season
- Rookie William Byron and Veteran Matt Crafton Battle for Top Spot of NASCAR World Truck Series