- Kansas native Clint Bowyer won the last race (Richmond) before the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup begins this weekend.
- Two-time Kansas Speedway winner Jeff Gordon finished second at Richmond, which allowed him to clinch the final Chase spot. The 12 Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup drivers are Gordon, Clint Bowyer, Martin Truex Jr., Greg Biffle, Matt Kenseth, Dale Earnhardt, Jr., Kevin Harvick, Brad Keselowski, Denny Hamlin, Jimmie Johnson, Tony Stewart and Kasey Kahne.
- Six of the Chase drivers have NASCAR Sprint Cup Series wins at Kansas Speedway.
- Denny Hamlin, who won the STP 400 at Kansas Speedway this past April, leads the Chase standings by three points heading into Chicago this weekend.
- Kevin Harvick won the NASCAR Nationwide Series race at Richmond this past weekend.
- With eight races remaining in the Nationwide Series, Elliott Sadler leads the point standings by one over defending series champion Ricky Stenhouse Jr. The two will bring their championship battle to Kansas Speedway on Oct. 20 in the Kansas Lottery 300.
- Pole sitter Richard Westbrook and co-driver Antonio Garcia claimed victory in Sunday’s GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series race at Laguna Seca in Monterey, Calif. – beating the runner-up tandem of Alex Gurney and Jon Fogarty by nearly four full seconds in posting the third win of the season for Spirit of Daytona Racing. Ryan Dalziel finished third, pulling within thirteen points of championship leaders Scott Pruett and Memo Rojas. But Dalziel’s Number-8 Starworks Motorsport entry was found to be out of technical compliance during post-race inspection. Penalties could be forthcoming, with one race left in the season.
This week’s races: From Chicago: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series on Sunday at 1 PM CT on ESPN. The NASCAR Nationwide Series on Saturday at 2:30 PM CT on ESPN. From Iowa: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series on Saturday at 7 PM CT on SPEED.