• Carl Edwards won his first NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race in 71 starts this past weekend. Edwards is fourth in the point standings.
• Denny Hamlin remains the leader in the Sprint Cup Series point standings, but his lead is now only 15 in front of former Kansas Speedway winner and four-time champion Jimmie Johnson.
• Carl Edwards won the Nationwide Series race at Phoenix.
• Clint Bowyer won the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race this past weekend, while former Kansas Speedway winner Todd Bodine clinched his second truck series championship. Bowyer’s win was the fourth consecutive win for the #2 Kevin Harvick Inc. truck at Phoenix.
• How did Kansas Speedway winners fare this past weekend? Greg Biffle finished fourth in the Cup race, Joey Logano finished third in the Nationwide race and Johnny Sauter finished third in the truck race.
• X-Games star Travis Pastrana announced this past week that he will join NASCAR on a limited basis in 2011, running in the Nationwide Series under the Pastrana-Waltrip Racing banner. He’s expected to compete in seven races next year.
• Clinch scenario for the Cup title - The only way points leader Denny Hamlin can guarantee a clinch of his first NASCAR Sprint Cup Series championship is by either finishing second while leading the most laps or winning next Sunday’s season finale Ford 400 at Homestead-Miami Speedway. If Johnson wins and leads the most laps, he’ll capture his fifth consecutive championship.
• There are still owner’s championships to be decided in the Nationwide and Truck series- Currently, the No. 18 Joe Gibbs Racing Toyota holds a 41-point lead over the No. 22 Penske Racing Dodge for the Nationwide Series owner’s championship.
The No. 18 can guarantee the title by finishing fifth; or sixth with at least one lap led; or seventh while leading the most laps on Saturday at Homestead.
• The No. 18 Kyle Busch Motorsports Toyota holds a 120-point lead over the No. 30 Germain Racing Toyota going into Friday night’s season finale at Homestead for the truck series owner’s title. The No. 18 can guarantee the title by finishing 29th; or 31st with at least one lap led; or 32nd while leading the most laps.
• All three series end their season this weekend at Homestead-Miami Speedway.
Kansas Speedway Notes:
• Kansas Speedway tickets for the 2011 season are currently on sale by calling 866.460.RACE (7223) or logging onto www.kansasspeedway.com. Kansas Speedway is selling individual race tickets in 2011, while also continuing to offer a season ticket.
2011 Kansas Speedway Schedule:
June 4 – NASCAR Camping World Truck Series O’Reilly Auto Parts 250
June 5 – NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race
Oct. 7 – O’Reilly Auto Parts Qualifying Day
Oct. 8 – NASCAR Nationwide Series Kansas Lottery 300
Oct. 9 – NASCAR Sprint Cup Series
- MARTIN TRUEX JR. LOOKS FOR STRIKE AT KANSAS SPEEDWAY
- KANSAS SPEEDWAY HOSTING NASCAR NIGHT RACES MAY 6-7
- MLB AND KANSAS CITY ROYALS HALL OF FAMER GEORGE BRETT NAMED GRAND MARSHAL
- MARTIN TRUEX JR. VISITING THE FINISH LINE, KANSAS SPEEDWAY’S FAN HOSPITALITY
- LEGENDARY ROCKER EDDIE MONEY TO PLAY GO BOWLING 400 PRE-RACE CONCERT