Racing Notes from 11-22
• Former Kansas Speedway winner Jimmie Johnson captured his fifth consecutive NASCAR Sprint Cup title with a second place finish at Homestead yesterday. Only two drivers have more championships than Johnson – Richard Petty and Dale Earnhardt Sr.
• Hendrick Motorsports now has 10 Sprint Cup titles in the last 16 years. The 10 titles is the most any team has in NASCAR.
• With its fifth straight championship, Hendrick Motorsports becomes one of just four teams in major American professional sports to have scored five or more titles consecutively. The Boston Celtics posted eight NBA titles in a row starting with the 1958-59 season and ending in 1965-66. Hendrick now is tied with the New York Yankees, which earned five World Series rings from 1949-53, and the Montreal Canadians, which scored five Stanley Cups from 1956-60. (major American professional sports refers to NFL, NBA, NHL, NASCAR, MLB)
• Missouri native Carl Edwards won his second consecutive race, taking home the checkered flag in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race at Homestead. Edwards finished fourth in the point standings.
• Kansas native Clint Bowyer finished the year 10th in the points (he finished 12th at Homestead), while Missouri native Jamie McMurray finished 14th in the point standings (21st at Homestead).
• Kyle Busch won both the NASCAR Nationwide Series and NASCAR Camping World Truck Series races this past weekend. Busch’s wins secured the owner’s title for Joe Gibbs Racing in the Nationwide Series and Kyle Busch Motorsports in the truck series.
• How did 2010 Kansas Speedway winners fare? Greg Biffle finished 10th in the Cup race, Joey Logano finished seventh in the Nationwide race and Johnny Sauter finished third in the truck race.
• Brad Keselowski (NASCAR Nationwide Series) and Todd Bodine (NASCAR Camping World Truck Series) wrapped up their driver’s championships in previous weeks and were officially crowned at Homestead.
Kansas Speedway Notes:
• Kansas Speedway tickets for the 2011 season are currently on sale by calling 866.460.RACE (7223) or logging onto www.kansasspeedway.com. Kansas Speedway is selling individual race tickets in 2011, while also continuing to offer a season ticket.
2011 Kansas Speedway Schedule:
June 4 – NASCAR Camping World Truck Series O’Reilly Auto Parts 250
June 5 – NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race
Oct. 7 – O’Reilly Auto Parts Qualifying Day
Oct. 8 – NASCAR Nationwide Series Kansas Lottery 300
Oct. 9 – NASCAR Sprint Cup Series
- Kansas Speedway Hosting Hollywood Casino 400 Weekend
- Kurt Busch added to the Finish Line, Kansas Speedway's Fan Hospitality
- March of Dimes Bikers for Babies 20th Annual Ride to Save Lives
- Allmendinger Visits Kansas City for Chase Across North America Media Tour
- Kansas Speedway Hosting Two NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Weekends in 2015