Saavedra wins Kansas Lottery 100
Rookie Sebastian Saavedra earned his first Firestone Indy Lights victory in the Kansas Lottery 100 on Sunday, April 26, at Kansas Speedway. This was his first victory on an oval.
“AFS/Andretti Green did an incredible job, and I have to thank the guys. The key was the restarts. I just had perfect timing behind Wade (Cunningham),” Saavadra said. “My car was perfect. It was really fast. Hopefully, we can keep it going for the rest of the season.”
Cunningham finished a close second, after battling for the lead with Saavedra from start to finish. After trying several times, Cunningham was unable to pass Saavedra, who was able to keep the pace he wanted, according to Cunningham. An increased number of wrecks resulted in 31 caution laps, including a race ending finish under caution.
Mario Romancini finished third for his first career top-five finish. Romancini, who was side-by-side with Cunningham from the start, was unable to execute a pass at lap 26.
“I’m very happy with my first oval race. Last week I had a problem with the gearbox and couldn’t finish the race, so this is very important for the championship,” said Ramancini.
- Midwest Balloon Festival Announces Move to Kansas Speedway
- Kansas Speedway, Toyota Extend Partnership
- Rising Country Artist Brett Eldredge Performing Pre-Race Concert for Kansas 400
- 2014 International Motor Sports Association Season Begins January 25 with Rolex 24 at Daytona
- NASCAR Recognizes Kansas Speedway's Jean Ann Bowman with Award of Excellence