Kansas Speedway Home to Non-Chase Drivers
With the 2007 season in the history books, it's official -- Kansas Speedway has become a safe haven for Non - Chase for the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series drivers.
For the second consecutive season (and the third time in four years) a non-Chase driver captured the victory at Kansas Speedway. With his win at Kansas, Greg Biffle became the only non-Chase driver to visit victory lane in the final 10 races of the 2007 season. NASCAR champion Jimmie Johnson and his teammate Jeff Gordon took home six wins in the final 10 races, to dominate the Chase for the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup.
Last season, it was Tony Stewart who took the checkers on his way to an 11th-place finish in the championship point standings. In the first year of the Chase (2004), Joe Nemechek took home the win at Kansas Speedway.
When the 2008 Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup rolls around, you can bet that the non-Chase drivers will have Kansas Speedway marked on their calendars as a place for a potential win.
- Jeff Gordon Coming Out of Retirement -- At Least For Two Races
- Part 2: A look at the final nine Sprint Cup Series races and impact on the Chase
- Part 1: A look at the final nine Sprint Cup Series races and impact on the Chase
- Tony Stewart Looks to Reclaim Championship Form in Final Season
- Rookie William Byron and Veteran Matt Crafton Battle for Top Spot of NASCAR World Truck Series