Johnson Now the Chased
With just two races left in the Chase for the NASCAR Nextel Cup, Jimmie Johnson has become a marked man.
Johnson, who was 18 points behind previous Chase leader Jeff Gordon going into Texas, won his third consecutive race and his ninth race this season. Second-place Gordon, who is a two-time Kansas Speedway winner, currently trails Johnson by 30 points, while Kansas native Clint Bowyer trails by 181 points.
"I want to win a championship by out racing the best in the business," said Johnson, who is looking to repeat his 2006 championship. Last year, Johnson also took the lead at Texas and went on to win his first championship.
The scene for this week's chase race is Phoenix, which was good to Gordon early in the year when he captured his first win at the track.
While the two teammates battle for the championship, Bowyer has been the surprise of the Chase. Bowyer won his first NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series race at New Hampshire, site of the first Chase race. Bowyer has been consistent throughout the Chase and almost pulled off another victory at his home track - Kansas Speedway.
Another exciting round of racing is on tap for this Sunday, with a champion being crowned the following week at Homestead.
- Logano goes to Gatorade Victory Lane after a wild race in Kansas
- Kyle Busch Conquers Kansas Speedway, Wins Kansas Lottery 300
- Kansas Speedway Hosting Hollywood Casino 400 Weekend
- Kurt Busch added to the Finish Line, Kansas Speedway's Fan Hospitality
- March of Dimes Bikers for Babies 20th Annual Ride to Save Lives