Johnson Now the Chased
With just two races left in the Chase for the NASCAR Nextel Cup, Jimmie Johnson has become a marked man.
Johnson, who was 18 points behind previous Chase leader Jeff Gordon going into Texas, won his third consecutive race and his ninth race this season. Second-place Gordon, who is a two-time Kansas Speedway winner, currently trails Johnson by 30 points, while Kansas native Clint Bowyer trails by 181 points.
"I want to win a championship by out racing the best in the business," said Johnson, who is looking to repeat his 2006 championship. Last year, Johnson also took the lead at Texas and went on to win his first championship.
The scene for this week's chase race is Phoenix, which was good to Gordon early in the year when he captured his first win at the track.
While the two teammates battle for the championship, Bowyer has been the surprise of the Chase. Bowyer won his first NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series race at New Hampshire, site of the first Chase race. Bowyer has been consistent throughout the Chase and almost pulled off another victory at his home track - Kansas Speedway.
Another exciting round of racing is on tap for this Sunday, with a champion being crowned the following week at Homestead.
- Shooter Jennings to Play Pre-Race Concert at Kansas Speedway
- Nickelodeon Announces Entitlement Sponsorship of SpongeBob SquarePants 400 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race at Kansas Speedway, May 9
- Kasey Kahne Appearing at the Finish Line on May 9
- Kansas Speedway Season Ticketholders Headed to Daytona 500
- NASCAR Recognizes Kansas Speedway's Medical Director at Annual NASCAR Racing Operations Summit